Well one interesting early result from the Meme Propagation test is that Technorati doesn’t seem to be working quite right. I have been tracking trackbacks there and I noticed two things. First of all, Technorati is not updating the number of links and sources to blogs properly — because I know the number of citations to the Meme Propagation test, and to my blog before and after the test, and the change is not reflected in Technorati’s stats. So if you are looking at the technorati results for your own blog or a posting, whatever number you are seeing is definitely *not* accurate. This in turn means that Technorati’s “Top 100” list is also not accurate. Therefore I suggest that Daypop, Blogdex and Feedster are more reliable places to get current blog statistics for your (or any) blog.
Secondly, Technorati has not indexed the GUID for the test — which is interesting — even though it *has* indexed several blogs that participate. The GUID is just a keyword like any other, so it should be findable by entering it into Technorati’s search field. I sent email to Dave Sifry about this. Let’s see what he says.
As for Google, it will take some time before Google re-indexes everyone and then we’ll see whether they do a decent job of locating the GUID. Some folks have commented on the length of the GUID. Yes, it probably ccould have been shorter but I wanted to guarantee that it would be a unique string for a long time to come. In any case, even searching on a substring of the GUID (or unique text from the original Meme post, or the URI for the post) should turn up all results for the experiment. The unique GUID is just an added protection so that the data can be found even if for some reason parties who participate don’t link back to the original post.